winlogon.exe windows logon application
The winlogon.exe process is a very important part of the Windows operating system, and Windows cannot be used without it. winlogon.exe is a legitimate process file popularly known as Windows NT Logon Application.
What is the purpose of winlogon exe in Windows?
In computing, Winlogon (Windows Logon) is the component of Microsoft Windows operating systems that is responsible for handling the secure care stream, loading the user profile upon login, and optionally locking the computer when a screen saver is running (requiring another authentication step).
This process performs a variety of critical tasks related to the Windows logon process. For example, when you log in, the winlogon.exe process is responsible for loading your user profile into the registry. This allows programs to use the HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys, which are different for each Windows user account.
What does the program do Windows Logon Application winlogon exe?
Winlogon.exe (Windows Logon) is the component of Microsoft Windows operating systems that is responsible for handling the secure care stream, loading the user profile at login, and optionally locking the computer when a screen saver is running (which requires another authentication step).
Can I stop winlogon exe in Windows?
The winlogon.exe process is responsible for handling Ctrl + Alt + Delete, so your session cannot be recovered once you have stopped it. You will need to restart your PC to continue. Windows will always start this process when you start your PC.
How do I run winlogon exe in Windows?
How to Fix a Winlogon.exe Application Error
- Press “Start” and then “Run.” Type SFC.
- Insert the Windows installation CD if requested.
- Enter safe mode by pressing “F8” immediately upon restarting.
- Turn on your virus protection program, and run a complete scan on your computer.
- Reboot your computer normally.
How do I find winlogon Exe?
- The real winlogon.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 directory on your system.
- To verify the real Windows Logon Application is running,
- right-click it in Task Manager and select “Open file location”.
- The file manager should open to the C:\Windows\System32 directory containing the winlogon.exe file.
How to Remove winlogon.exe in Windows
- Click “Start,”
- “(My) Computer” and double-click the “C:” drive icon.
- Choose “Program Files” and then select “winlogon.exe.” Push “Delete”
- And the file will be removed from the computer.
- Restart the computer system and allow it to boot normally.
What happens if I delete winlogon exe in Windows?
This is a legitimate file and deleting it will damage your Windows installation. Tech support scammers have flagged winlogon.exe and other critical system processes and said “If you see this running on your PC, you have malware.”
Manual Way to remove Winlogon.exe Virus in Windows
- 1. Go to Start > Run > type ( cmd ). ,and then click the “OK” button.
- 2. Type in ( taskkill/IM winlogon.exe ) and press “Enter.”.
- 3. Restart your computer to “Safe Mode with Networking” by using F8
- 4. Go to Start >
- (My) Computer > double-click the “C:” drive .
- And then Choose “Program Files” and then select “winlogon.exe.”
- Press “Delete” and the file will be removed from the computer.
- 5. Restart your PC and allow it to boot normally.
⚠️ We respect trademarks, logos, brand names, products, and services of other parties. All data and information provided on this site are for educational purposes only.
⚠️ Howtogethelpinwindows.com is independent and not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.
⚠️ Microsoft & Windows 10 are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.